Thursday, July 12, 2012

21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card - Step One - Name


To begin the journey of 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card, we must first pick a card to explore during our trip.

If you haven’t already chosen your deck, this is the time to do so. It is best to pick a tarot deck with detailed pictures and lots of symbolism.

Artwork © Jennifer Galasso, 2011


Next shuffle your deck, while asking the question, “What do I most need to look at in my life right now?”

Draw three cards and place them upright before you. Out of these three cards, chose one for your journey. It is suggested not to use the Aces or the Eight of Wands, for they normally lack details. Pick the most intriguing, most unsettling, and most detailed card of the three. Which one calls out to you and entices you to explore it?

I have pulled my three cards to reveal 10 of Cups, 2 of Swords, and Ace of Pentacles.

The 10 of Cups shows a loving family, bathing by moonlight. To me, this card represents emotional contentment. In answer to the above question, I need to look at the contentment level of my emotional state. Am I happy and satisfied in my current status?

The 2 of Swords shows a woman blinded and bound, unaware of her surroundings. To me, this card represents avoiding a situation, not allowing yourself to see or choose your next step. In answer to the question, I need to consider what I may be avoiding and allow myself to decide what should happen next.

The Ace of Pentacles shows two trees forming a pentacle and the image of two women. To me, this card represents new financial opportunities, but in view of this particular card it may not be obvious at first. In answer to the question, I need to pay close attention to all presenting opportunities, even those which may not seem like good prospects.

Although the Ace is intriguing, I’ll set it aside due to Mary Greer’s suggestion, mentioned above. The 10 of Cups is detailed, but it doesn't grab my attention. I knew as soon as I saw the 2 of Swords it would be my choice. The card screams hidden secrets and wonders to be uncovered. So, as we step through our journey, I will be exploring the

Activity 1:1 – Say the name of the card you have chosen aloud.


“Say my name, say my name, If no one is around you, Say baby I love you…”

Watch Destiny's Child 'Say My Name' Video on MetaCafe.

I love this song, and the exercise made it start playing in my head.

So, back to the activity, say the name of the card aloud. That’s it, that’s all you have to do.

“Saying the name of the card opens your mouth and starts it moving – what I call “priming the pump” or getting the ideas flowing.” 

You may do this in various ways: “I’ve drawn the 2 of Swords.”, or “This card is the 2 of Swords.”, etc.

The main thing is to say the card’s name aloud, feel the vibration of the words flowing from you, and bathe in the released energy.

Optional - You may continue through one more step if you choose. Mary Greer suggests a second activity in this section. Activity 1:2 – If you are new to the tarot or have purchased a new deck, she suggests shuffling it, examining the individual cards, and saying the names as you do so.


What cards did you draw? Which one did you decide upon for your journey? Why?


If you haven’t already, grab a copy of the book for a deeper understanding of 21 Ways to Read the Tarot. Available in Print and Kindle.


No comments: